Tuesday, May 3, 2016

For All Those Mind Numbing Questions, I Have Just One Counter Question


People love asking questions. Well, we grew up asking questions. If one has to learn you definitely have to ask questions. Just as our entire education system is flawed with meaningless exams, most of our questions are also meaningless. I have been asked irrelevant, indecent, stupid and irritating questions as long as I can remember. Let’s have some fun with those questions that made me question my own sensibility and sensitivity.

In School: How come you are dark? Your parents are not all that dark, no?
Mind voice: Dark? Oh no, I am bright. My parents are bright too.
People are very worried about complexion. Protecting our skin is something that I can understand; no one wants burnt skin and the associated pain. What I can’t understand is how complexion can play any role in any fair or unfair tasks that we do? BTW, I am dark (though society would insist that I use the word “wheatish”) and I don’t know why. Didn’t bother to understand the biology behind it!

After School: So, Engineering or Medicine?
Mind voice: Arts, no wait…maybe Bartending
In the era when taking care of pandas is a paid profession why are we hassled with this question? Also, the assumptions – oh didn’t you score well, shall I fund you, are you lazy… There is something called passion and everyone has the right to explore and do something they love doing. At least we won’t get thrown out during a recession!

In College: So, how many boyfriends have you had?
Mind voice: Literally, many! Do I get a medal?
I can understand if people say that they think about sex all the time. What I can’t understand is how wanting to know “personal shit” about other people gives any kind of pleasure! And trust me, no one believes it if you say you had and have no boyfriend(s). Societal norms will stop you from having an affair and hypocrites will want you to have more than one.

At Work: Looks like marriage is around the corner..wink..wink?
Mind voice: No, I have to walk 10,000 km to go and take a right to be left alone
Why is getting married a mandatory norm? Just when you start feeling happy about standing on your own feet, they make you feel like a loner because you are single! Marriage is like jumping into a well, a few do it with eyes open and a few with eyes closed. A few smart ones find different swimming pools and keep swimming.

In The Well: Any good news?
Mind voice: YES! YES! I am going on a date with my husband
Everyone knows what “Good News” means. Just because a person is married, it doesn’t mean that they have to reproduce. At times even your best friend will start worrying. Not having a kid is associated with many things – depression, aggression, family problems, health problems, mental problems and more. But the truth is, not having a kid is a CHOICE. Just as people choose to fall into the well, they decide not to have a baby. I vividly remember an acquaintance asking me this question: “Why get married if you don’t want kids?” Such a profound question that I have started losing faith in humanity!

The list will go on. I am sure all of us have been a part of such a mind numbing exercise at least once. Earlier I would respond sharing my views – but it was almost always futile. No longer. Now, every time I am attacked with a dumb numb question, I ask “And you are not dead yet?” When I hear the response, “What kind of question is this”, I smile broadly and say, “Exactly!”

1 comment:

  1. Asking a question is the human way of shifting responsibility. For, behind every question the questioner has already framed an answer. That the question is asked is an act of seeking formal confirmation.

    Of course there is no room for rebuttal here. If your answer is not in sync with what resides in the mind of the questioner, it is rejected till that point when either interlocutor decides to give up.

    And there are no exceptions to this rule. Even a chap asking directions knows that the other chap is a mobile version of google maps. So, if the other nods in ignorance, the next query may be "why don't you know the directions? Don't you stay hereabouts"?

    As for the question you asked in the headline of this blog, I'm sure you already have the answer! Think it over 😇

    ReplyDelete