Saturday, July 26, 2014

Little Miss. Mishti and Mr. Big Brown Tree

Image: Bharath Kumar (bharathkumar27@gmail.com)


Mishti sat beneath a huge tree. “I remember Ms. Mary makes us spell the names of so many fruits. But how do I spell this tree’s name? I can’t find any fruit? I thought all trees had fruits” pondered Mishti. Her tiny mind was trying to connect something that she learnt in class with the tree that she saw, but she just couldn’t. The tree had a huge brown trunk and glossy leaves. Mishti was admiring the beauty of the tree when all of a sudden she felt something was wrong. “Oh Mr. Big Brown Tree, why are your branches hanging in the air?” questioned Mishti. Mr. Big Brown Tree did not understand the question and said “Eh?! Why do you ask that? My branches?”. “Oh you talk! That’s lovely. Now tell me, are you weak and dying Mr. Big Brown Tree?“ asked Mishti with utmost sympathy and she instantly started worrying about the tree. “Oh poor you, you look so sad little girl. I am alright. I am smiling, can’t you see? Come play with me” said Mr. Big Brown Tree. “NO!” yelled Mishti and said “You are sick and I am going to help you”. “Aha! I know what to do. I have always seen Ma water her tiny plants and she always tells me that water keep the plants alive. May be you need some water. Let me fetch a pail of water like Jack” smiled Mishti and she ran to her home to fetch some water.

“Mishti! Why are you panting? Is everything alright? Did anyone scare you? Oh my child,” said her mother Mrs. Vani. Mrs. Vani was appalled. Before Mishti could tell anything Vani’s imagination ran wild and brought tears in her eyes. “No Ma, I am fine. That tree, Mr. Big Brown Tree without fruits and hanging branches needs water. You know, he is dying. But Mr. Big Brown Tree refuses to accept it. I want to save him”, said Mishti. “Which tree? Mr. Big Brown? Hanging branches? Where did you go Mishti? I told you not to go too far,” sighed Mrs. Vani. “Maa! I didn’t go too far. Ms. Mary taught me about directions - left and right. I only wanted to try,” paused Mishti to check which hand should she show and said “left side of our home. You should come with me. You know how to save lives!” jumped Mishti.

Mrs. Vani and Mishti strolled to see the huge tree with a pail of water. On their way Mishti told her Ma so many stories about school, her friends, animals, fairies and dragons. Mrs. Vani experienced all kinds of emotions. She loved listening to Mishti. Mrs. Vani was drifting into her wonderland

Little Miss Mishti
Knows how to talk
Tell stories itsy-bitsy
Every time we walk

Little Miss Mishti
Makes me smile
With giggles itsy-bitsy
We walk for a mile

“Ma! Look, look...See, I told you he is dying,” shouted Mishti. Mrs. Vani looked at the tree and was surprised that she never spotted this tree till now. “That’s a lovely tree. Isn’t it Mishti? He is more green than brown” smiled Mrs. Vani. “Stop wasting time Ma. Let’s go water the tree” screamed Mishti and hurriedly ran towards the trunk of the tree. Mrs. Vani was admiring the warmth of Mishti and the breeze beneath the tree. “Don’t worry Mishti. The tree will not die. Those are not branches. They are the tree’s roots. That’s how it’s supposed to be. It’s a Banyan tree and...” Mishti interrupted before her mother could finish and said “Ok. It may be the Banyan tree but I know he is dying. I will not cry Ma. You don’t have to make stories. I know that roots are always underground. Ms. Mary told me a week ago. Please save him”. Mrs. Vani tried her best to convince Mishti but she wouldn’t listen. While both started arguing the magic happened.

It rained!

Mishti was happy. Mrs. Vani said “why don’t you now shake hands with your Mr. Big Brown Tree and enjoy the rain?” Mrs. Vani stood there, surprised, watching Mishti talk something to the tree and swing on the roots. “There was no sign of rain before. Well, may be Mr. Big Brown Tree is after all the Wish Tree. I remember Ma telling me about the Kalpavriksha – a wish fulfilling tree” wondered Mrs. Vani.

And with enlightened joy Mishti shouted, “I remember now, Banyan is the National Tree of India!! And now I know how you look. Mr. Big Brown Tree, you are the National Tree. Isn’t that amazing?”

Mr. Big Brown Tree was smiling and Mishty questioned “But where are your fruits?”

No comments:

Post a Comment